SITE MENU

Contact
Index
Internet Guide to Scotland on Facebook

CASTLES

A-Z List
List by Regions
Featured Castles
Clan connections
Stay in a Castle
Wedding Venues
Private Tours
Self Drive Tours

TRAVEL

Destinations
Travel Tips
Car Rental
B&Bs
Hotels
Self Catering
Special Offers
Brochures
Gardens
Islands
Outdoor Activities
Standing Stones

SCOTLAND

Genealogy
News & Magazines
Property
Relocation & Jobs
Accommodation

The Chatelaine's Scottish Castles

Carnasserie Castle

Carnasserie Castle

near Kilmartin, Argyll

This castle, now in ruins, is located 2 miles to the north of Kilmartin and about 28 miles south of Oban in Argyll on the west coast of Scotland.

There is a car park from where you can walk across the fields and go up the hill to the castle. The ruins are now owned by the National Trust for Scotland and can be visited. Admission is free. There are no floors intact in the main hall but there are towers on each end which can be climbed.

Carnasserie Castle Carnasserie Castle
Carnasserie Castle Carnasserie Castle
Carnasserie Castle

This is a good example of a French Renaissance-influenced tower-house with hall-house. It was built in 1565 by Bishop John Carswell (Rector of Kilmartin) who published the first Gaelic translation of John Knox's Liturgy. The castle was captured and demolished in 1685 by MacLaine of Torloisk when its Campbell owner joined in the Monmouth Rising.

Photos copyright 2006 The Internet Guide to Scotland

For further information, see:

Travel Info

QUICK CLICKS:
Top of Page
Index
Contact
Internet Guide to Scotland on Facebook

The Chatelaine's Scottish Castles web site copyright Joanne Mackenzie-Winters 1997-2015
Part of The Internet Guide to Scotland
Not to be reproduced without permission