Earlshall Castle is situated close to the Royal Air Force base at Leuchars in Fife
on the north-east coast of Scotland. It is currently lived in and the museum section is open to the public. The origin of the name could date back to the Earls of Fife.
Earlshall is slightly different from the standard L-plan tower house
since it has an oval tower on one of the external angles and a stair tower in the re-entrant angle.
Also wall and range form a courtyard with the main block.
Construction began in 1546 by Sir William Bruce and was completed by his great-grandson of the same name in 1617.
However the castle fell into disrepair and was rescued in 1891 when Sir Robert Lorimer started the restoration.
His work included the addition of a gatehouse and some unusual topiary gardens which include chessmen.
Lorimer also restored the 16th-century painted ceiling in the Long Gallery which depicts subjects
from heraldry, history and zoology.
It is now privately owned and not open to the public.