Near to Saddell Abbey and the grave of Somerled, stands Saddell Castle.
Built by Bishop David Hamilton during the period 1508-1512 using some of the stones of the ruined abbey,
the castle was burnt by English raiders in 1538, but later reconstructed and enlarged.
Similar to Cawdor, it has a convenient trap door placed in the main entrance passage
which was activated to send unwanted visitors into a pit-prison which had no other exit.
The castle is nowadays rented out as a self-catering property from the Landmark Trust. There are 2 single bedrooms, 2 twin rooms and 1 double room.
It is complete though the barmkin is slightly ruinous according to Skip Nolan
who has also seen the castle.