Invergarry Castle is located 7 miles south of Fort Augustus which is at the southern end of
The ruins are impressive and can be seen from the grounds of Glengarry Castle Hotel. Care should be taken when visiting.
Stabilising work on the ruins was carried out (2005 - 2007).
Built by the MacDonells (or MacDonalds) of Glengarry in the early 1600s, it was not long after burnt to the ground by Cromwellian forces in 1654.
Later re-fortified, this L-plan tower of 5 or 6 storeys was visited twice by Bonnie Prince Charlie and subsequently blown up by his enemy, the Duke of Cumberland.
Photos copyright The Internet Guide to Scotland 2008.