Kilravock Castle is located on the B9101 between Croy and Clephanton about 10 miles east of Inverness.
It is about 2 miles from Cawdor Castle.
Ancient home of the Roses or Rosses of Nairnshire who came here in the 13th century
and were authorised by the Lord of the Isles to build a tower in 1460.
In the 17th century a 4-storey mansion was added to the 5-storey tower which overlooks a steep drop to the River Nairn.
The castle was also remodelled in the 18th century.
Famous visitors include Mary, Queen of Scots in 1562, Bonnie Prince Charlie (whom Sir Hugh Rose entertained with a violin rendition of an Italian minuet),
the Duke of Cumberland (the day after the Prince's visit just before the two men fought the Battle of Culloden) and also the poet Robert Burns (in 1787).
The castle is no longer open to the public. Bunkhouse accommodation is available.
Contact the Kilravock Castle Christian Trust via the
Kilravock Castle official web site for further details.
The Clan Rose of America web site also has information about the castle and family history.