Inverness Travel & Transport
Flights - Trains - Bus - Bike Hire - Taxi Tours - Weather
Dalcross International Airport is 8 miles east of the city. Taxis and car hire are available at the airport. Wireless Internet access. The Jet is a dedicated shuttle bus service between Inverness city centre and Inverness airport and Nairn.
The following airlines offer regular scheduled flights to other airports in the UK and Europe:
There are holiday flights to/from Jersey in summer and Geneva in winter.
Scotrail operates the 4 lines from Inverness railway station:
- south to Aviemore - Perth and then Edinburgh / Glasgow. Connections to Stirling as well.
- east to Aberdeen via Nairn and Elgin
- west to Kyle of Lochalsh on the west coast near the Skye Bridge
- north via Beauly up the coast to Wick
Savings within Scotland can be made with TravelPass & Rover tickets. For example the Highland Rover allows 4 days unlimited travel out of 8 consecutive days on Highland rail lines plus the Inverness-Fort William-Oban Citylink bus service. The Freedom of Scotland Travelpass allowing unlimited travel throughout the country on trains plus Cal Mac ferries and some bus services is available for 4 days travel out of 8 consecutive days (or for 8 days out of 15). For more details and prices see the special tickets page on the Scotrail web site. The Highland Caledonian Sleeper train operates from London to Inverness.
For further details about UK trains, visit trainline for timetables and online booking.
Megabus is a budget bus service operating between Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen and Inverness. Departures from Inverness bus station. MegabusGold services offer free Wifi and complimentary refreshments, as well as bunks on overnight sleepers.
The Scottish Citylink coach network operates the main routes between Inverness and other towns/cities in Scotland (e.g. Fort Augustus, Fort William, Oban, Skye, Ullapool, Wick, Aberdeen, Perth, Edinburgh, Glasgow, etc.). Departures from Inverness bus station. You may be able to benefit from the Explorer Pass which offers for unlimited travel between certain dates. Discount tickets (Smart Cards) are available for travellers over 50 and for students aged 16-25.
Stagecoach Buses operate on local routes (e.g. Inverness city centre, Strathpeffer, Beauly, Cromarty, Dingwall, etc.). These timeables can be obtained from Inverness bus station or consult travelinescotland.com
Mileages by road:
- Edinburgh - Inverness: 157 miles
- Glasgow - Inverness: 174 miles
- Inverness - Fort William: 65 miles
- Inverness - Ullapool: 57 miles
To calculate driving distances and routes from A to B, use the RAC route planner.
Based in Nairn, Scotland Made Easy can plan a customised itinerary for a self-drive tour to suit your interests, budget and time available. Advance booking required. They will book you into recommended accommodation where you are assured of quality, comfort and hospitality - usually in 4 or 5 star B&Bs in Scottish homes. Optional 'specials' include a night in a castle, church, lighthouse, country mansion, etc.
Whether you have already decided which places you want to visit or if you haven't a clue where to start, Scotland Made Easy will advise and take care of all the planning for you.
Clansandcastles.com offer itinerary planning for self-drive tours (with car hire if required) and/or accommodation reservations for castles, inns & country houses.
Private tour guides also available. Small groups in a car, minibus or a 50-seater coach can be catered for. Each of the professional guides live and work in the Highlands and are keen to share their local knowledge. Visit Clansandcastles.com to find out how to book your tour in advance.
EasyDrive based in Inverness and has a wide range of hire cars, vans and people carriers. Local company with personal service. Drop-off available in Fort William, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Tel: 01463 712525.
Bespoke Car Hire Scotland can offer hire cars and people carriers. Available from Inverness airport, as well as Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Perth, Stirling, Prestwick (near Glasgow), Dumfries, Dundee, etc.
Campervans / Motorhomes
- Happy Highland Campers - hire a fully equipped vintage VW Camper Van. Based near Evanton, about 20 miles north of Inverness. Pick up can be arranged from locations in and around Inverness. Bicycle hire also available. Tel: 07796 675639.
- Highland Campervans - offer 4-berth campers and motorhomes for hire. Automatic and 4-wheel drive. Based in Inverness. Tel: 01667 493976.
- Highland Classic Campers have classic Volkswagen campervans for hire (based near Inverness). Tel: 01349 831005.
- OutThere Campervans offer a choice of campervans or motorhome. Based between Nairn and Inverness. Free transfers from Inverness Airport, railway or bus station. Tel: 07912 138727.
- Strathpeffer VW Campervan Hire have a range of T25 Autosleeper Trident campervans (sleeping up to 4). Based 15 miles north of Inverness. Tel: 01997 421195 / 07527 276894.
Personal Driver-Guide Services:
- Celia Ffitch-Stewart is a fully insured driver-guide with Mercedes limousine for your tailor-made guided tour. Half day, full day or extended tours. Airport collection (Edinburgh, Aberdeen or Inverness). Services can include itinerary planning and accommodation reservations. Meet your clan chief, trace your roots, stay in a castle, tour the distilleries. Member of HOSTGA (Highlands of Scotland Tour Guide Association). Can be booked if you are coming into Invergordon on a cruise ship.
- Diana Bertoldi is Italian with Scottish roots and offers half day, full day or multi-day tours from Inverness or Invergordon (cruise terminal) with this driver/guide for a maximum of 7 people. Tours can be tailor-made and include sacred sites, distilleries, castles, Pictish Trail, Outlander, shopping, etc. Specialised tour guide for HOSTGA (Highlands Of Scotland Tour Guides Association). Families with children welcome.
- WOW Scotland offers guided private tours from Inverness and Invergordon (for cruise ship passengers).
- Shore Excursions offer half day and whole day sightseeing tours from the cruise liner port of Invergordon or from Inverness. Maximum 8 people. Car hire can be arranged from Invergordon for cruise ship passengers who would like to drive themselves.
- The Taxi Tour Experience is a taxi tour service for cruise liner passengers at the port of Invergordon (near Inverness). Each driver is a knowledgeable guide. Tours can include castles and distilleries in the Highlands, Loch Ness, Inverness, Culloden Battlefield. Minimum 3.5 hours. Choice of vehicles including multi-seaters for up to 8 people.
Taxi / Chauffeur / Limousine / Wedding Car Services:
- Inverness Taxis have an excellent reputation in Inverness. Available for airport pick ups, weddings, personal sightseeing tours, etc. Disabled facilities. Tel: 01463 222222.
- Cinebus - transport by 7-seater minibus. Ideal for those nights out when you don't want to drive. Available from Inverness, Dingwall, Alness, Invergordon, Tain, etc. for transport to Eden Court, Vue cinema, Rollerball, etc. or for birthdays, hen and stag nights, Christmas. Also airport and rail connections. Contact Nigel Newell - tel: 01862 842260.
- Executive Stretch Limousines offer chauffeur driven pink or white limos in Inverness and the Highlands. Great for weddings, parties, etc. Telephone: 01463 250158.
- Highland Chauffeur Drive (based in Inverness) can offer guided tours or airport transfers in cars or a people carrier. Wedding car hire also available.
- J A Johnstone Chauffeur Drive offers a full range of chauffeur driven services by car or 6-7 seat people carrier for individuals or small groups. Available for business trips, sightseeing tours, etc. Over 20 years experience. Highly recommended. Member of the Highlands Of Scotland Tourist Board and the American Society of Travel Agents. Credit cards accepted. Tel: 01463 798372.
- Loch Ness Taxis & Tours has a fleet of vehicles including an 8 seater Traveliner. Available for airport transfers, bus & train bookings, and sightseeing tours around the Highlands. Contact Mark Williamson. Tel: 01463 239876 / 07876688453.
- Taxi to/from Inverness (ideal for sightseeing) Destinations include Aviemore, Strathpeffer, Dingwall, Ullapool, Alness, Invergordon, Tain, Portmahomack, Lairg, Wick, Thurso, etc. Also John O' Groats - Inverness taxi service.
- Andrew's Car Private Hire is licensed for up to 6 people. Andrew McCallum covers all areas around the Black Isle, Dingwall and Inverness. Airport pick ups, tours, etc. Mob: 07818 697 609 / Tel: 01349 877 547.
- North Coast 500 Moto Experience is a motorbike hire company based on Harbour Road in Inverness. If required they can meet you at Inverness Airport (fee applies) or Inverness Train and Bus stations (free). Tel: 01463 231212 / Mobile: 07751519101.
- Bike hire is available from Highland Motorcycle Holidays based in Invergordon. They can also arrange itineraries and biker-friendly accommodation in the Highlands if you are visiting on your own bike or hiring one from them. Contact Nigel Newell - tel: 01862 842260.
- Mitchells Motorcycles in Grieg Street, Inverness offers spares, repairs, accessories, etc. Tel: 01463 233 478.
- Based at Bellfield Park in Inverness, A Ticket to Ride offers bike hire (free delivery area includes Inverness Airport, Nairn and numerous other places). Helmet, lock, toolkit and emergency assistance all provided. Day trips with route maps are available (e.g. Loch Ness, Culloden & Cawdor). Cross country routes can also be arranged. Bike taxi service available (e.g. John o'Groats, Kyle of Lochalsh, Fort William). One way hires available on the Great Glen Way (Inverness-Fort William). Tel: 01463 419160 or 07902 242301 out of hours.
- Caledonian Gifts at 12 Church Street in the centre of Inverness have cycles for hire by the day. Tel: 01463 710 664.
- Co-wheels e-bikes - advance membership registration required. Use is charged by the day. Hi Viz vest and helmet provided. There are 6 e-bikes at Falcon Square (near the train station and the Eastgate Shopping Centre) and 6 e-bikes outside the Highland Council Headquarters on Glenurquhart Road. Tel: 0191 375 1050
Cruises / Boat trips: